Saturday, April 25, 2009

THE DARJEELING LIMITED

by Tobias
> view trailer

Wes Anderson's meticulous craft has only grown increasingly brilliant and indulgent with each film. The ability it takes to transport visual trademarks of his kind out of a technical comfort zone and apply them in a far off foreign land is one of greatness; takes some serious cinema skillz. His notoriously idiosyncratic style also frequently makes him an easy target for critics who feel he dishes out the same thing over and over - but I feel many of them overlook the loads of personal depth and human longing on full display in all of his work. I think those who equate his quirk with superficial kitsch are blindly mistaken.

I like just about everything about THE DARJEELING LIMITED. The fable quality of these three brothers' journey taps into a lot of real feelings and attitudes I and my siblings have. Although it's probably my least favorite of Anderson's stuff so far (and I also love HOTEL CHEVALIER, the prologue to this, a lot more) I still believe DARJEELING is one of the great feature length American films of 2007. For me, Wes Anderson belongs to a league of screen masters who always deliver a type of cinema that can only be associated with their distinct art look and feel (Luis Bunuel, David Lynch). He's just one of the few American directors that I feel is doing anything remotely interesting and inventive with comedy movies at this point in time, even when he's doing one about the same themes he's already tirelessly explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment