Friday, April 24, 2009

WALKER

by Tobias
Being a huge fan of Alex Cox and Ed Harris equally, I had been highly anticipating Criterion's DVD release of this 80's obscurity for some time, and now that I've seen it, I can safely say that it's definitely one colossally uncompromising vision, even if all of it's elements don't quite gel together at all times. I feel like a lot of the surrealist tendencies of director Alex Cox on this film would be comfortably at home in a Jodorworsky film (or one of Cox's other films: REPO MAN, STRAIGHT TO HELL) but are often awkwardly out of place with all the other historical elements of the period. But I guess that's part of what gives the film some of its vitality, so who am I to bitch? Also, this has got to be one of the more bizarre acting parts Ed Harris has ever done. Ranks well alongside other great kabuki performances of the screen - like Nicholson's Jack Torrance in THE SHINING (1980). I've got to tip my hat to Alex Cox for crafting one of the stranger more angry political allegories that I've seen. Though it's set in the past, it functions nicely as a not so subtle critique of America's imperialistic foreign policies. The vicious punk spirit of this filmmaker was truly one of the last great satirical voices of 1980's independent cinema.

1 comment:

  1. I read this entire review waiting to hear what you had to say about Chuck Norris...and THEN I realized that this is NOT a review of Walker Texas Ranger. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. But I DID enjoy Ed Harris' work in "The Rock."

    ReplyDelete