Saturday, June 12, 2010

Viewing Journal: 6/12/2010




15) MATINEE
(1993 dir. Joe Dante) Date Seen: June 12 2010

I adored this movie & cannot believe I had put it on the backburner for so long. It may very well be my new favorite Joe Dante film.











14) HUNGER
(2008 dir. Steve McQueen) 2nd Viewing: June 12 2010

Still the best cinematic statement of 2008 in my eyes. Few films about civil war pack this type of visceral gut punch.











13) THE HAUNTED WORLD 
              OF EL SUPERBEASTO
(2009 dir. Rob Zombie) Date Seen: June 12 2010

I'm probably being entirely too generous with my rating here, but I really appreciated Zombie's latest anarchic vision. Also his first animated outing since his hallucinatory segment of BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD DO AMERICA (1996)

Even though I prefer his other 2009 masterwork HALLOWEEN II, SUPERBEASTO is worth a gander for fans of his particular brand of eccentric pop-art. Crass and vulgar? You bet. But also brazenly original and transgressive for long stretches. The animation isn't quite as admirable as old school masters like Ralph Bakshi, but the humor is as subversive and amusing at least. Akin to Tex Avery cartoons on psilocybin.





No comments:

Post a Comment