Thursday, June 17, 2010

Viewing Journal: 6/17/2010




24) HOLY ROLLERS
(2010 dir. Kevin Asch) Date Seen: June 17 2010

Missed opportunity.. A potentially interesting story presented in a tired mould.

Probably Mr. Eisenberg's best character role though. That is, I predict, until THE SOCIAL NETWORK comes out later this year.









23) COLLAPSE
(2009 dir. Chris Smith) Date Seen: June 17 2010

"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine,
And the machine is bleeding to death"

I would never brush this Michael Ruppert guy off as a mere conspiracy quack, but he is definitely a paranoid ideologue. Perhaps even an under-qualified one? But I think he offers enough food for thought to make an interesting documentary subject. Most everything he brings up taps into fears I already have about energy and finance, and I think a lot of his conclusions are sound - Where the pragmatic optimist in me breaks with him is on his rigid outlook on alternative solutions to peak oil. His views seem extremely obtuse when it comes to that. 

Director Chris Smith channels Errol Morris a bit too much for my taste here, but I didn't think it was enough to spoil the entirety of the film. Just a little distracting. After all, how many recent docs haven't been influenced by the great Errol? I love Chris Smith's AMERICAN MOVIE and THE POOL much more than COLLAPSE, but I think it's still worth the undivided attention of those who are concerned with the current shit sandwich we're in.


No comments:

Post a Comment