Friday, June 18, 2010

Viewing Journal: 6/18/2010





27) TOY STORY 3
(2010 dir. Lee Unkrich) Date Seen: June 18 2010
A worthy end to Pixar's preeminent TOY STORY trilogy. These films could function as emotional therapy for we millennials. They have so many life affirming moments. Their writers/animators know how to craft quality comfort movies. 

This newest installment has the most potent sentimentality of the 3 & some of the most exciting action I've ever seen in an animated film. I guess it all started with that impressive climax of the first TOY STORY. I remember being on the edge of my baby seat in 1995 during that film's entire final 15 minutes. The only thing that got my heart racing faster at the time was Spielberg's JURASSIC PARK. Albeit for different reasons. 

I think Lee Unkrich really outdid himself this time. TOY STORY 3 has more thrills to offer audiences this weekend than any of the moronic action films aimed at older folks do. Thank you Pixar animators for cooking up so many classics for me and my future chitlins to enjoy.













26) THE MARRIAGE 
                     OF MARIA BRAUN
(1979 dir. Rainer Werner Fassbinder) 4th Viewing: June 18 2010

My 2nd favourite Fassbinder next to ALI: FEAR EATS SOUL (1974) and undoubtedly one of the best films of 1979. I must point out that the current version Netflix "watch-instant" has streaming of this does not look very good. Like an old VHS tape.. RWF's work cries high definition.










25) THE MESSENGER
(2009 dir. Oren Moverman) 2nd Viewing: June 18 2010

Haunting for most of its runtime. Ben Foster is a national treasure



No comments:

Post a Comment