Sunday, July 11, 2010

Viewing Journal: 7/11/2010





105) THE CRAZIES
(2010 dir. Breck Eisner) 4th Viewing: July 11 2010




.











104) WHIP IT
(2009 dir. Drew Barrymore) 2nd Viewing: July 11 2010









.











103) OVERNIGHT
(2003 dir. Tony Montana, Mark Brian Smith) Date Seen: July 11 2010








.












102) WATCHMEN
(2009 dir. Zack Snyder) 2nd Viewing: July 11 2010




I think it says something about the quality of Alan Moore's source material here that even a lazy stylist like Zack Snyder could make a halfway decent film out of it. As an adaptation of one of the greatest pieces of literature I've ever read, it's a pleasant enough piece of hackwork. Anonymous in all the right ways so that it's never really offensive. But it's never really thrilling or profound either. To me it's not much more than a nicely polished visual representation of Dave Gibbons' original illustrations. Candy for the eye, But hollow for much of its runtime. And with the exception of one major tweaking of a plot point, It's a mostly uninspired page-to-screen adaptation of Moore's ambitious story. What bothers me the most is the way it teeters on the brink of collapse in the face of any real emotional expression. But it's at least an interesting mess at parts. I enjoy Jackie Earle Haley's performance as Rorschach quite a bit and the Dr. Manhattan segment set to Philip Glass's KOYAANISQATSI music had me glued to the screen while it lasted. So.. it is currently one of the only Snyder films I somewhat enjoy. And subsequently the only Alan Moore adaptation I can tolerate viewing. Even though I have MAJOR problems with it. I guess we fans of the graphic novel couldn't have hoped for a more faithful film version of WATCHMEN, but while it gets the details of the narrative right, I never thought it captured the tone or dread of Moore's brilliant text.




No comments:

Post a Comment