Saturday, September 4, 2010

END OF SUMMER FILM QUIZ

or PROFESSOR DAVID HUXLEY’S LABORIOUS, LICENTIOUS SPOTTED-LEOPARD LABOR DAY FILM QUIZ
Another great quiz by Dennis Cozzalio.









1) CLASSIC FILM YOU MOST WANT TO EXPERIENCE THAT HAS SO FAR ELUDED YOU
George Stevens' GIANT (1956). I'd preferably like to see it on the big screen first rather than some crappy dvd or vhs.











2) GREATEST CRITERION DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASE EVER
I would say THE THIN RED LINE, but it's not out yet. So until then, I'm gonna go with BICYCLE THIEVES. Perfect presentation of a perfect film.












3) THE BIG SLEEP OR 
       THE MALTESE FALCON? 
THE BIG SLEEP. It's an over-all even greater movie.


 











4) JASON BATEMAN 
                     OR PAUL RUDD?
I love both these guys, but Bateman doesn't seem like as big of a cock-blocker!








 



5) BEST MOTHER/CHILD (MALE OR FEMALE) MOVIE STAR COMBO


For my money - Judy and Liza.




 
 








6) WHO ARE THE ROBERT MITCHUMS AND IDA LUPINOS AMONG WORKING MOVIE ACTORS? DO MODERN PARALLELS TO SUCH MASCULINE AND NO-NONSENSE FEMININE STARS EVEN EXIST? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

They don't exist in quite the same way anymore, seeing how the times have changed, but their traits can be found in many great working actors.













7) FAVORITE PRESTON 
                          STURGES MOVIE
SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1942)!!














8) ODETTE YUSTMAN OR 
MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD?
Oh my goodness, Mary Liz!!





 







9) IS THERE A MOVIE THAT IF YOU FOUND OUT A PARTNER OR LOVE INTEREST LOVED (OR DIDN'T LOVE) WOULD QUALIFY AS A RELATIONSHIP DEAL BREAKER?

Most definitely if they flat out disliked certain flicks!!..
>:o(

A handful of old movies; HIS GIRL FRIDAY, THE LADY VANISHES, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.. and any Malick.












10) FAVORITE DVD COMMENTARY
Either Roger Ebert on CITIZEN KANE or Martin Scorsese on LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST.











11) MOVIES MOST RECENTLY SEEN ON DVD, BLU-RAY AND THEATRICALLY


Dvd: LILO & STITCH
Blu-ray: CRANK
Theatre: ANIMAL KINGDOM












12) DIRK BOGARDE 
                    OR ALAN BATES?
Dirk.







 







13) FAVORITE DVD EXTRA
A source of constant inspiration for me as a low budget genre filmmaker is the "Behind-The-Screams" featurette on the EVIL DEAD II Limited Edition dvd. All the blood, and sweat, and laughter that went into that movie. Quite endearing.














14) 
BRIAN DE PALMA'S SCARFACE 
-- YES OR NO? 
If you had asked me this in High School I'd've said "no." I had problems with Pacino's race-bending performance and the overall tone of the thing. I think it was the first De Palma movie I'd been exposed to besides UNTOUCHABLES (1987).
"It wasn't realistic" I'd whine. But as my filmic education progressed and I viewed many of the films it was indebted to, I really came to like it a good deal. Now in my late 20s, I would even say I love most of it. Could see all these creative choices were made very carefully. Pacino just went overkill as directed, same as Nicholson did in THE SHINING. Obviously SCARFACE is not as great as BLOW OUT or SISTERS in De Palma's oeuvre, but I think it's an interesting take on the gangster pic.



 










15) BEST COMIC MOMENT FROM A HORROR FILM THAT IS NOT A HORROR COMEDY 
(YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, LOVE AT FIRST BITE, etc.)
The car suddenly not sinking anymore in PSYCHO (1960) off the top of my head. Hitchcock had a wicked sense of humor.







 









16) JANE BIRKIN 
              OR EDWIGE FENECH?
Edwige!!

****

 











17) 
FAVORITE WONG KAR-WAI?
IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (2001).. My favourite & possibly his best.





 









18) BEST HORRIFIC MOMENT FROM A COMEDY THAT IS NOT A HORROR COMEDY





 








19) FROM 2010, A SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF WHAT MOVIES ARE DOING RIGHT…
More and more gals are directing movies on the indie circuit, that's for sure. That's something righteous. But it still feels grossly lopsided in the mainstream.
Gender wise.. I'd be more comfortable if I could see more diversity in all fields. 










 
20) RYAN REYNOLDS 
                 OR CHRIS EVANS?
Chris Evans. Without hesitation.












21) SPECULATE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF ONLINE FILM WRITING. WHAT'S NEXT?

For me personally, I think the video-essay is a form where it's easier to articulate aesthetic concepts about movies than in print/blog form. Due to the visual aid no doubt. So, for better or worse, I think we'll see more and more attempts at that. Possibly to the point of over-saturation with Youtube bros.

But I still think the best work comes from those who have a vast knowledge of film history and critical theory. Or at least a budding eagerness to learn about it.













22) ROGER LIVESEY 
                    OR DAVID FARRAR?
Roger Livesey.



 











23) BEST FATHER/CHILD (MALE OR FEMALE) MOVIE STAR COMBO
Off the top of my head: John Huston and Anjelica Huston.




 










24) FAVORITE FREDDIE FRANCIS MOVIE (AS DIRECTOR)
Of the few I've seen, I especially love MUMSY, NANNY, SONNY, & GIRLY (1970)!!













25) BRINGING UP BABY 
       OR THE AWFUL TRUTH?
Both are great. But I prefer BRINGING UP BABY.



 








26) TINA FEY OR KRISTEN WIIG?
I love both these women, but Kristen Wiig makes me laugh more as a performer. Tina's always struck me as more of a writer.












27) NAME A STYLISTICALLY IMPORTANT DIRECTOR AND THE BEST FILM THAT WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE WITHOUT HIS/HER INFLUENCE
I could go on with this one for days!


Hawks -> ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13




Kubrick -> CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3RD KIND


F.W. Murnau -> DAYS OF HEAVEN




Peckinpah -> THE LONG RIDERS




Fritz Lang -> BLADE RUNNER + BRAZIL




Hitchcock -> BLOW OUT




Tarkovsky -> THE ELEMENT OF CRIME



Jean Cocteau -> LEGEND
*****












28) MOVIE YOU'D MOST ENJOY SEEING REMADE AND TRANSPLANTED TO A DIFFERENT CULTURE (i.e. Yimou's A WOMAN, A GUN AND A NOODLE SHOP)
I'd like to see the TREMORS scenario updated to 13th century Mongolia OR late 1800s Mexico.

I'd also like to update THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS. Everyone the world over loves monster movies, right?!
 










29) LINK TO A PICTURE/FRAME GRAB OF A MOVIE IMAGE THAT FOR YOU BEST ILLUSTRATES BLISS. ELABORATE
It may seem cornball to most, but in SUNRISE (1927), the stroll The Man and The Wife take out of the church that dissolves into a glowing wooded area has always resonated with me. It's saying even though they may be surrounded by hardship & the chaos of the modern world, they can still find serenity in each other's embrace. It's unbelievably romantic imagery.










30) WITH A TIP OF THE HAT TO GLENN KENNY, THINK OF A JUST-SLIGHTLY-INADEQUATE ALTERNATE TITLE FOR A FAMOUS MOVIE. (EXAMPLES FROM G.K.: FAN FICTION; BOUDU RELIEVED FROM CRAMPING; THE MILD INPRECATION OF THE CAT PEOPLE)
  • HARRY POTHEAD & THE HALF-BAKED STONER
  • SOME LIKE IT LUKEWARM
  • LITTLE DIETER NEEDS TO ROLL

No comments:

Post a Comment