Friday, July 9, 2010

Viewing Journal: 7/9/2010






96) PREDATORS
(2010 dir. Nimrod Antal) Date Seen: July 9 2010

Rather loved the first two acts but slightly disappointed in the finale. It's admittedly a minor step back for Mr. Antal post VACANCY and KONTROLL, but I think he has the action chops to elevate this unnecessary reboot above the level of a pure cash grab. It's light years better than something like TERMINATOR SALVATION. As a genre craftsman, Antal reminds me of a young John Carpenter and part of me wishes he would pick material more worthy of his talent.. But I guess it's good that he's not a snob. I'm just thankful he's getting work.














95) RED ROAD 
                 [ADVANCE PARTY #1]
(2007 dir. Andrea Arnold) Date Seen: July 9 2010

Unlike the majority of movie people I chat with, I actually liked FISH TANK more than this. But it's an outstanding feature debut for Andrea Arnold, even if her sophomore film clicks with me more on a personal level. Regardless of preference, RED ROAD is one of the most effective thrillers of 2007 for sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment