Saturday, October 30, 2010

Viewing Journal: 10/31/2010

HAPPY HALLOWS' EVE!!   




411) POLTERGEIST
(1982 dir. Tobe Hooper) 4th Viewing: October 31 2010


  • You'd think Tobe Hooper and Spielberg wouldn't gel so well together. 
  • Still packs a visceral punch after all these years. 
  • I miss the old school ILM effects












410) CAT PEOPLE
(1942 dir. Jacques Tourneur) 2nd Viewing: October 31 2010

The infamous swimming pool scene in this brought back memories of that dreadful feeling I had whilst watching Kiyoshi Kurosawa's PULSE circa 2005 at the Dallas Magnolia. The theatre was empty except for me by my lonesome on a late night weekday screening. The ambient noises on the soundtrack had me spooked & I became paranoid that there was someone (or something) in the theatre with me too. I've never been more paralyzed with fear in a theatre before or since. 

Not to mention the long quiet walk to my car. All the theatre staff had gone home & locked up and the parking garage was now abandoned. Holy shnikes it was an eerie feeling! I can only imagine what Jane Randolph's character must of felt in her predicament in CAT PEOPLE. Just goes to show an expert use of darkness and sound can be much more effective than any creature or violent act.












409) IP MAN
(2010 dir. Wilson Yip) Date Seen: October 31 2010





No comments:

Post a Comment