Monday, January 31, 2011

Viewing Journal: 1/31/2011







58) BURIED
(2010 dir. Rodrigo Cortés) 2nd Viewing: January 31 2011

A real nightmare scenario. I'd say this is my favorite of 2010's "People Trapped In Confined Spaces" cinema trend (See also: 127 HOURS, FROZEN, DEVIL, etc.) 

Ryan Reynold's surprised me here with range I didn't know he had. His fear seemed real and palpable. He conveyed every emotion and level of panic I think a person would actually experience in THAT predicament. 

I hope Rodrigo Cortés tackles more genre fare in the future because he knocked this one out of the park. It takes solid directing to keep things visually engaging when dealing with restrictive settings like this. I feel like Cortés will most likely make something even better down the line. 

 I do wish the film wasn't such a downer-- but I guess that's kind of the point. This type of horror didn't come to fuck around. 




No comments:

Post a Comment