Friday, December 4, 2009

BEST OF THE AUGHTS: FILM

I'm sure by now those of you who know me or follow my Final Cinema project have probably realized that I'm a total list making addict. Can't make or read enough of 'em. So naturally, seeing how we've reached the end of the decade, I just felt I had to weigh in on what I thought the 30 greatest films were. Well, I don't know about "greatest" or "best", but these certainly are my favourite movies released during 2000 to 2009. Come to think of it, many of these titles may seem like total rubbish to a lot of you, but they are all films that for whatever reason hit me like a breath of fresh air upon first viewing and have continued to inspire and startle me as a cinema lover and filmmaker. I can't praise them enough, here's the countdown:







30.   INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

.
29.                HUNGER

.
28.       FANTASTIC MR. FOX
.
27.        35 SHOTS OF RUM

.
-tie-27.        IN AMERICA

.
26.        FAR FROM HEAVEN

.
25.                   OASIS

.
24.                CORALINE

.
23.                 THE SON

.
22.               REVANCHE

.
21.               DOGTOOTH

.
20.          BEFORE SUNSET

.
19. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

.
18.          NOBODY KNOWS

.
17.         TROPICAL MALADY

.
16.             TWO LOVERS

.
15.     MEMORIES OF MURDER

.
14. WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES

.
13.    A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

.
12.                   ZODIAC

.
11.      THERE WILL BE BLOOD

.
10.                 PLATFORM

.
9.              SPIRITED AWAY

.
8.                   L'ENFANT

.
7.     THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS

.
6.      IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE

.
            ETERNAL SUNSHINE
5.       OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

.
4.       GEORGE WASHINGTON

.
3.                       YI YI

.
2.            THE NEW WORLD

.
1.         MULHOLLAND DRIVE


*****





recap
2000-2009
  1. MULHOLLAND DRIVE (Lynch)
  2. THE NEW WORLD (Malick)
  3. YI YI (Yang)
  4. GEORGE WASHINGTON (D.Gordon Green)
  5. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (Gondry)
  6. IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (Wong Kar-Wai)
  7. ROYAL TENENBAUMS (Wes Anderson)
  8. L'ENFANT (Dardenne Bros.)
  9. SPIRITED AWAY (Miyazaki)
  10. PLATFORM (Zhang Ke Jia)
  11. THERE WILL BE BLOOD (P.T.Anderson)
  12. ZODIAC (Fincher)
  13. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (Cronenberg)
  14. WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES (Tarr)
  15. MEMORIES OF MURDER (Bong Joon Ho)
  16. TWO LOVERS (Gray)
  17. TROPICAL MALADY (Weerasethakul)
  18. 1NOBODY KNOWS (Hirokazu Koreeda)
  19. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (Coen)
  20. BEFORE SUNSET (Linklater)
  21. DOGTOOTH (Lanthimos)
  22. REVANCHE (Götz Spielmann)
  23. THE SON (Dardenne Bros.)
  24. CORALINE (Selick)
  25. OASIS (Chang-dong Lee)
  26. FAR FROM HEAVEN (Haynes)
  27. 35 SHOTS OF RUM (Denis)                                                                       -tie- IN AMERICA (Sheridan)
  28. FANTASTIC MR. FOX (Wes Anderson)
  29. HUNGER (McQueen)
  30. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (Tarantino)


I encourage my friends and all of you strangers out there to post your favourite pics of the decade (or films you think I've shafted) in the comments section below.

4 comments:

  1. Loved There Will Be Blood! Def agree with you there. Eternal Sunshine is also one of my favs. Hunger was really great. Not for all audiences. That seen where the main character is talking to his priest, no cuts, perfect flow. Thats impressive. They said so much in scenes where there were no words. I'd like to see Mulholand Drive, just haven't gotten around to it. And Royal Tenenbaums... meh, not a huge Wes Anderson fan, but I enjoyed this more than his others. One of my favs thats not listed is V For Vendetta. Gotta love a movie that makes you want to pump your fist and yell "Fuck Yeah!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I saw V FOR VENDETTA. I don't feel like anyone has adapted Alan Moore right yet, but I should still give it another shot

    ReplyDelete
  3. A movie that I would've definitely included is City of God, amazing movie. A personal favorite is Lost in Translation, I liked the way Sofia Coppola brings the two characters together in a non-sexual way to give romance a whole new name. Also, Y Tu Mama Tambien; Alfonso Cuaron did great by incorporating a narrator to allow the viewers to see beyond the friendship that the two main characters had. There Will Be Blood was an amazing movie and Daniel Day Lewis as always was incredible. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a new kind of film at least for me, and Jim Carrey played his role very well, good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edgar, all of the films you mentioned are within my top 40 for sure :o) In fact Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN was initially my top pic of 2002 - that is until I saw FAR FROM HEAVEN and SPIRITED AWAY. I only wanted to mention 20 for the decade this time, so a lot of great films got left off. But all the movies you spotted are true gems as well.

    ReplyDelete