Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Viewing Journal: 6/23/2010







41) JOAN RIVERS: 
                     A PIECE OF WORK
(2010 dir. Ricki Stern,Anne Sundberg) Date Seen: June 23 2010

Joanie makes for one of the more interesting subjects I've seen in a documentary all year. The lady's had a fascinating celebrity life.















40) BLUEBEARD
(2009 dir. Catherine Breillat) Date Seen: June 23 2010

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen a lot of Breillat. I've only seen À MA SOEUR (2001) and ANATOMY OF HELL (2004). But based on the few I have seen, I can safely say she's an interesting filmmaker and her films always have a ton of personality + visual strength. Never dull. This one was a little disturbing, in the best possible way. Also darkly funny. 

An all together stunning film not to be missed by lovers of French cinema. Usually a 2nd viewing solidifies my feelings about a film, so hopefully I'll do a more in depth post after I've seen it again. Also, Ella Creton is a remarkably great young actress. Strong screen charisma. I don't know how Breillat finds these actors. I hope to see Ella in more in the future. 

Here's a great interview Glenn Kenny did with Catherine at last year's NYFF.



No comments:

Post a Comment