Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Viewing Journal: 5/3/2021




189) THE MITCHELLS
                  VS. THE MACHINES
(2021 dir. Michael Rianda) Date Seen: May 3 2021

Right off the bat I dug the goofy CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE-style character designs mixing with the stray neon strokes & jagged surface textures, but boy howdy, how the movie's humor fluctuated like crazy between hit or miss for me. Authentically funny bits one second, then the most obnoxiously loud "look how wacky I am" gags the next.. That tonal unevenness in the comedy department ultimately made it difficult for me to emotionally connect to the core familial drama. Also (this might be nitpicking): Did these dude writers really think having the little girl be artsy & awkward would somehow automatically designate her as some type of LGBT representation? I'm really hoping I just missed some character breadcrumbs, because that's kinda lame if true. Young characters having to be ambiguously queer-coded definitely counts for something, but ffs. The world isn't going to end if we depict adolescent characters who are explicitly not 
heteronormative.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment