Saturday, March 13, 2010

BEST OF THE 90s: FILM

The list whore strikes again! Over the next few days I'm going to be compiling BEST OF DECADE lists here, so if you missed my BEST OF THE AUGHTS (2000-2009) make sure you check it out before I burry you in the past. As always, the year by year Top 10s can be seen at The Final Cinema project. I find compulsively compiling these helps me relax at night for some reason. I'm mental. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) I have an encyclopedic memory of most of the films I've seen, so it comes easy. I like to save these posts so I can look back on them over the years and see how my attitudes towards cinema change as I get older. Anyway, the following movies were my favorites released during 1990 to 1999. If you have a genuine interest in film, I think you should try to see all of the titles mentioned in the next few posts. So get to it.

Here's the countdown:




TOY STORY
.
LONE STAR
.
BABE: PIG IN THE CITY
.
HEAT
.
LESSONS OF DARKNESS
.
GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH

.
MAGNOLIA

.
THROUGH THE OLIVE TREES

.
CLOSE-UP

.
PRINCESS MONONOKE

.
BOOGIE NIGHTS

.
THE IRON GIANT

.
THREE COLORS: RED

.
CHUNGKING EXPRESS
.
ED WOOD
.
BEFORE SUNSET
.
SHORT CUTS
.
UNDERGROUND
.
THE PLAYER
.
UNFORGIVEN
.
MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO
.
RUSHMORE
.
EYES WIDE SHUT
 .
BREAKING THE WAVES
.
SAFE
.
A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY
.
GOODFELLAS
.
THE LONG DAY CLOSES
.
SÁTÁNTANGÓ

.
THE PIANO
.
THE THIN RED LINE




*****





recap
1990-1999
  1. THE THIN RED LINE (Malick)
  2. THE PIANO (Campion)
  3. SÁTÁNTANGÓ (Tarr)
  4. LONG DAY CLOSES (Davies)
  5. GOODFELLAS (Scorsese)
  6. A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY (Yang)
  7. SAFE (Haynes)
  8. BREAKING THE WAVES (Von Trier)
  9. EYES WIDE SHUT (Kubrick)
  10. RUSHMORE (Wes Anderson)
  11. MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO (Van Sant)
  12. UNFORGIVEN (Eastwood)
  13. THE PLAYER (Altman)
  14. UNDERGROUND (Kusturica)
  15. SHORT CUTS (Altman)
  16. BEFORE SUNRISE (Richard Linklater)
  17. ED WOOD (Burton)
  18. CHUNGKING EXPRESS (Wong Kar Wai)
  19. RED (Kieslowski)
  20. THE IRON GIANT (Bird)
  21. BOOGIE NIGHTS (P.T. Anderson)
  22. PRINCESS MONONOKE (Miyazaki)
  23. CLOSE-UP (Kiarostami)                                                                       -tie- THROUGH THE OLIVE TREES (Kiarostami)
  24. MAGNOLIA (P.T. Anderson)
  25. GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH (Dante)
  26. LESSONS OF DARKNESS (Herzog)
  27. HEAT (Michael Mann)
  28. BABE: PIG IN THE CITY (George Miller)
  29. LONE STAR (Sayles)
  30. TOY STORY (John Lasseter)




I encourage all of you to post your favorite pics of the 90s (or films you think I've shafted) in the comments section below.

1 comment: