Viewing Journal: 3/14/2011
132) SOUTHLAND TALES
(2007 dir. Richard Kelly) 3rd Viewing: March 14 2011
 |
| "the Cannes cut" |
Ok so turns out I didn't misjudge the '07 thing I saw; That theatrical cut is a total bowdlerization of Richard Kelly's vision. Comparable to the 1984 violence inflicted on Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA.. & now that I've since read the prequel graphic novels (similar to Secret Diary of Laura Palmer for the Twin Peaks universe) + went down the "USiDent" a.r.g. rabbit-hole as well, my viewing this go 'round felt enriched to the point where I might as well have honestly been seeing the picture for the first time. I've seen that theatrical cut of SOUTHLAND TALES twice & would rate it at about barely a 2 point 5 stars.. But this 2hr 38min fan restoration of Kelly's Cannes film festival premiere aids the film's trippy internal logic by finally putting back essential cypher pieces missing from the other cut. This vision is structurally even more Godardian (WEEKEND '67) -- an apocalyptic mosaic of power, corruption, moral compromise, & cosmic absurdity. It's still a bit frustrating for sure --but it's also hilarious, singular, and ultimately rather moving in its conviction that some scrap of spiritual grace might survive the end of everything. [Maybe in an alternate universe Kelly got additional funds to animate the prologue / comicbook recap at the beginning of this. That would elevate it another half star]
131) RANGO
(2011 dir. Gore Verbinski) 2nd Viewing: March 14 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment