Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Viewing Journal: 12/6/2016



557) 
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
(2016 dir. Kenneth Lonnergan) Date Seen: December 6 2016
Que Dios me dé fuerzas. 
The helpless feeling, when a friend or family member's heart & soul hurts & you just can't do shit to help them feel better or even set them on a path where they might eventually feel better.. This film did not come to sell fake closure -- it lets the pain breathe; Where other films might've mercifully winced away and I think maybe that’s what makes its ache feel so authentic. Kenneth Lonergan writes things that feel too chaotically real. Sometimes characters merely surviving and not completely succumbing to despair is the whole story.











556) WHITE GIRL
(2016 dir. Elizabeth Wood) Date Seen: December 6 2016
Narratively it kinda reminded me of a gender-swapped "Less Than Zero" by Bret Easton Ellis. which is not great. But in terms of the filmmaking and acting on display, I found a lot of it to be compelling.. So I guess i'm conflicted.


No comments:

Post a Comment