Saturday, May 30, 2026

Viewing Journal: 5/30/2026



229) I LOVE BOOSTERS
(2026 dir. Boots Riley) Date Seen: May 30 2026
Maybe anything Boots followed up I'm A Virgo (Amazon prime) with was narratively going to seem like a step down. Still this was 
intermittently brilliant & politically kosher to be clear. + some of the best & funniest costume work of 2026. I just wish Boots' writing didn't overly explain so much.









228) THE LOST BUS
(2025 dir. Paul Greengrass) Date seen: May 30 2026
Greengrass has never had a particularly strong batting average with me, but I dug his previous film NEWS OF THE WORLD quite a bit & hoped its classical restraint was maybe signaling a new chapter in his filmography. Unfortunately this felt like a regression to his same old jittery form. + it's strangely low on suspense given the extraordinary real-life disaster & heroism it dramatizes —the inverse of what THIRTEEN LIVES felt like.. I will say THE LOST BUS is at least a technical achievement due to its atmospheric fire VFX: Flames & embers are frequently near-photoreal, with especially impressive attention paid to interactive lighting physics and the way the blaze plays across the bus’s metallic surfaces.



No comments:

Post a Comment