Sunday, July 3, 2022

Viewing Journal: 7/3/2022




412) 
POUPELLE OF CHIMNEY TOWN
(2022 dir. Yusuke Hirota) Date Seen: July 3 2022

I liked a lot about the world this was set within, the character designs, & even some aspects of the story-- but damn; Seldom have I enjoyed this specific type of 3D toon shader look applied to human characters (it's fine on inanimate surfaces, vehicles, machines, etc). To me it always looks like cheapo 3D impersonating hand-drawn 2D anime. With all the character edges rendered to look like they’ve got permanent pencil/charcoal strokes. Outside of maybe a few of the TellTale video game characters, I'm tempted to even say I hate this style. & it coupled with that choppy 12 frames a second (animating on 2s) rate made things look surprisingly crumby looking. Animation that just looks like someone hastily plastered iMovie “comic book filter" over everything.. I wish I didn’t have such a difficult time getting passed these aesthetics, because this movie has a lot of spiritual uplift to offer.














411) WYRM
(2022 dir. Christopher Winterbauer) Date Seen: July 3 2022

Did nothing for my cold dead heart. It's well made for sure and the performances are pretty good. but cutesy overload w/the pseudo-absurdist plot & dialogue.. Cloying



No comments:

Post a Comment