Friday, April 7, 2023

Viewing Journal: 4/6/2023




142) 
THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE
(2023 dir. Jelenic/Horvath) Date Seen: April 6 2023

Darn. Was hoping this would be more up my alley. I really loved that first teaser trailer. In terms of framing, blocking, & energy it felt like an entire movie birthed from that Vanellope Sugar Rush segment of WRECK-IT RALPH. An optical flood of colors & visual information that overwhelms the viewer in place of organically wowing the viewer. It picked up a bit for me once Donkey Kong showed up, but then later on (Movie-wise) it just wouldn't or couldn't stay in a lane of pictorial storytelling that I respond to for very long.. Perhaps my inner-child is finally deceased? Fortunately a lot of the jokes are delivered amusing enough for the movie to not be a total waste of time.











141) SUPER MARIO BROS.
(1993 dir. Jankel/Morton) 2nd Viewing: April 6 2023

[the "Morton/Jankel" cut]


No comments:

Post a Comment