Friday, February 25, 2022

Viewing Journal: 2/25/2022





108) DEATH ON THE NILE
(2022 dir. Kenneth Branagh) Date Seen: February 25 2022

I've always thought trains were inherently more cinematic than boats or any other mode of transport, so I was surprised I ended up enjoying this more than MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS 2017 (Branagh's first Agatha Christie). Aside from having some of the worst green-screen light matching I’ve seen in a mainstream release, I enjoyed the surprisingly old school Hollywood charm this whodunnit was constructed with. I also liked how well it juggled the numerous storylines throughout, creating a handsome tessellation of all the flawed characters by the end. It might be material we've all seen before but it's done up snazzy enough to make for an entertaining night out at the movies.














107) DEATH WISH 4: 
                    THE CRACKDOWN
(1987 dir. J. Lee Thompson) Date Seen: February 25 2022

For my money this is the only entry in the DEATH WISH series that gets really close to being great. All the quasi-fascist stuff is still there bubbling under the surface of course, but on a pure movie escapism level, J. Lee Thompson's filmmaking quality just stands head and shoulders above his predecessor's 👍



No comments:

Post a Comment