MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
(2026 dir. Travis Knight) Date Seen: June 7 2026
If you're forced to make knock-off James Gunn, this is preferably how it should get done. Not like that vomit inducing BORDERLANDS movie.. This new He-Man at least has genuine reverence for its source design works; respectively the craft of Mark Taylor & Frank Frazetta & the others that brought those old toys & toons to life. Also, like the 1987 Dolph Lundgren / Cannon Group film, this thing is an absolute beast of make-up, hair, & costuming craft. (btw one of the best episodes of The Toys that Made Us is about this franchise)
The movie hit me like a decent fast food meal I quickly scarfed --I mostly enjoyed the taste of it going down. It's funny in an innocent dumb way (Idris playing a drunken hobo version of Man-At-Arms) & works best when it's just trying to be a goofy action fantasy.. But my tummy started to bubble a little @ moments that clanged where we were supposed to feel pathos. Then i realized the fast food might be churning up something evil in my guttyworks. & while I was leaving the theatre I realized this had all just been well-programmed generic, but nothing was cinematically or spiritually rousing enough to make any kind of lasting impact.(my personal favourite He-Man thing remains the 3D CGI Rob David / Jeff Matsuda Masters of the Universe 2021-2022 - Netflix)

No comments:
Post a Comment