Monday, September 7, 2026

Viewing Journal: 9/7/2026



363) THE SALT PATH
(2026 dir. Marianne Elliott) Date Seen: September 7 2026
For a live theatre person,
Marianne Elliott's got a surprisingly voluptuous eye for the camera. I was completely carried along by these two & the chaotic little journey they were on --and then it just sort of evaporates into nothing in its last stretch. Maybe that’s how the book also ends or maybe there was some deep existential point I completely missed?.. 2026 is shaping up to be a great year for Gillian Anderson.







362) THE SUN NEVER SETS
(2026 dir. Joe Swanberg) Date Seen: September 7 2026
Normally 
Jake Johnson is Joe Swanberg's secret weapon, but this time it's Dakota Fanning who's his saving grace. It's some of the most thoughtful & believable work she's ever done i.m.o. & I wish it wasn't stuck in such a mid-tier Swanberg film. He's not formally as bad as he used to be in the early days, but Jesus Christ, could someone remind him films are usually a visual medium.. As a youngster when one of his movies didn't work for me I'd always say he was like if Éric Rohmer had been a bad dramatist. Now when he plops his work just feels like forgettable "prestige tv" filler (+ pile on the wasted performances).


No comments:

Post a Comment