Monday, April 17, 2017

BRIAN O’BLIVION’S FILM (AND TV) QUIZ

aka PROFESSOR BRIAN O’BLIVION’S ALL-NEW FLESH FOR MEMORIAL DAY FILM (AND TV) QUIZ

originally posted
MAY 22, 2008
[old stuff from the now gone "Refined Picture Show" blogspot]


Another great quiz by Dennis Cozzalio.








1) BEST TRANSITION FROM MOVIES TO TV (ACTOR, ACTRESS, PRODUCER/DIRECTOR, MOVIE/SHOW)
David Lynch is the best of the film directors to make a pit stop in TV.
off the top of my head; Alec Baldwin has made the best jump to TV on 30 Rock! He's hilarious.
& Pee-wee movies made the best transition from large to small screen.













2) LIVING FILM DIRECTOR YOU MOST MISS SEEING ON THE CULTURAL LANDSCAPE REGULARLY
Joe Dante 😢













3) EUGENE PALLETTE 
          OR CHARLES COBURN
Pallette.















4) FILL IN THE BLANK: "I PRAY THAT NO ONE EVER TURNS ________ INTO A MOVIE."
"ALF"













5) JANE GREER 
          OR VERONICA LAKE
Jane!













6) WHAT WAS THE LAST MOVIE YOU SAW IN A THEATER? ON DVD? AND WHY?
Last movie I saw at the cinema was Tarsem's THE FALL
I was curious about it 'cause I love his music video work and THE CELL (2000). Satoshi Kon's PAPRIKA (2007) was the last film I saw at home.













7) NAME AN ACTOR YOU THINK SHOULD BE A STAR
I think Mia Wasikowska should be an A-lister!














8) FOXY BROWN OR COFFY?
COFFY (1973) is the better film.













9) FAVORITE TV SHOW STILL WITHOUT ITS OWN DVD BOX SET
I don't think the entire Kolchak series is out yet.














10) JACK ELAM 
                OR NEVILLE BRAND?
Neville.














11) WHAT MOVIES WOULD TOP YOUR LIST OF MOVIES YOU NEED TO REVISIT, FOR WHATEVER REASON?
almost all of Ingmar Bergman's filmography.
I watched them all in order for the first time about 5 years ago & the majority of them were eye-opening experiences. I've since seen WILD STRAWBERRIES (1957) and PERSONA (1966) multiple times, but all the others deserve a second viewing from me.













12) ZODIAC   OR 
    ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN?
ZODIAC (2007).
And not just because it's newer & shinier but because it's a more cinematically rich work.












13) USING OUR BEST REVIEWER-SPEAK, WHAT IS AN "IMPORTANT" FILM COMEDY? AND WHAT IS TO YOU THE MOST IMPORTANT FILM COMEDY OF THE LAST 35 YEARS?
I think important movies in any genre tend to be the most influential and most reflective of their society & time. For me the 2 most important film comedies of the last 35 years are still AIRPLANE! (1980) and BLAZING SADDLES (1974)

Soon though I think CLUELESS (1995) and 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN (2005) might steal the former's thunder.













14) IDEAL ENVIRONMENT FOR WATCHING A MOVIE
If the Dallas IMAX had more comfortable chairs, it would be ideal for me.
It's giant, bright, and loud. Everything film presentation should be.













15) MICHELLE WILLIAMS 
                       OR EVA MENDES
I love both these ladies! If forced to pick, I go with Michelle.













16) WHAT'S THE WORST MOVIE TITLE OF ALL TIME?
BOBBY BUMPS PUTS A BEANERY ON THE BUM (1918).
Or perhaps that's the greatest title of all time. haha.














17) BEST MOVIE ABOUT TEACHING AND/OR LEARNING
Best movie about learning is STAND & DELIVER ('88).

Best film about teaching is the doc TO BE AND TO HAVE ('03).













18) DRACULA ('31) OR 
THE HORROR OF DRACULA ('58)
personally Todd Browning's DRACULA (1931).
Even though the Hammer one is probably a better film.












19) WHY DO YOU BLOG? OR IF YOU DON'T, WHY DO YOU READ BLOGS?
I personally blog because I have o.c.d. and like to keep track of everything I watch so I can look back later and observe how my taste has evolved. I follow many film blogs simply because I love reading varied ideas.












20) MOST MEMORABLE /
       DISTURBING DEATH SCENE
Murphy's crucifixion via shotgun blasts. 
Even its trimmed down R rated version is almost unbearable.












21) JASON ROBARDS 
                   OR ROBERT SHAW?
Rubby Robards.













22) A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR MOST BLASPHEMOUS MOVIE EVER
I genuinely think Mel Gibson's THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (2004) is a gross perversion of the Gospel story. Visually stunning. Spiritually atrocious.













23) RIO BRAVO OR RED RIVER
RIO BRAVO (1959)












24) WERNER HERZOG IS REMAKING BAD LIEUTENANT WITH NICHOLAS CAGE---THAT'S REALITY. TRY TO OUTDO REALITY BY CONCOCTING A MATCH-UP OF DIRECTOR AND TITLE FOR A REALLY STRANGE IMAGINARY REMAKE
Eli Roth remaking Siegel's THE BEGUILED (1971)













25) BULLE OGIER 
     OR CHARLOTTE RAMPLING
Ms. Rampling aka "The Look"












26) IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES--- YES? NO?
Definitely Yes. Not my favourite Oshima, but still essential arthouse.













27) NAME A MOVIE YOU THINK OF AS YOUR OWN
DAYS OF HEAVEN (1978) is quite literally mine.












28) WINGED MIGRATION 
                 OR MICROCOSMOS
WINGED MIGRATION (2002) but just by a hair.













29) YOUR FAVORITE FOOTBALL GAME FEATURED IN A MOVIE
The finale of Stone's ANY GIVEN SUNDAY (1999).












30) WENDY HILLER 
                OR DEBORAH KERR
Wendy.













31) DIRTIEST SECRET YOU HAVE THAT IS RELATED TO THE MOVIES
I have yet to see GIANT (1956).












32) NAME A FAVORITE FILM AND DESCRIBE HOW IT IS ILLUMINATED AND ENRICHED BY ANOTHER FAVORITE FILM
One of my favorites is Jim Sheridan's IN AMERICA (2003) and the way E.T. (1982) plays into its mythology. Helping the children grapple with the stages of grief.













33) IT'S A GIFT (1934) 
     OR  HORSE FEATHERS (1932)?
IT'S A GIFT ('34) is funnier to me personally.












34) YOUR BEST STORY ABOUT SEEING A MOVIE AT A DRIVE-IN

My only memory of seeing a movie at a drive-in is of BATMAN in 1989 or maybe it was BATMAN RETURNS in 1992? I was very little but I remember every time a car pulled up with its headlights shining on the screen you couldn't see certain shots. Due to the dark way the film is lit. And since it's a Tim Burton movie there were plenty of dark moments where we couldn't tell what was going on. We could only hear it. I do vividly remember all the batmobile, bat-boat, & batwing parts.














35) VICTOR MATURE 
                 OR TYRONE POWER
I said "I enjoy your musky Victor Mature-like scent"












36) WHAT DOES FILM CRITICISM MEAN TO YOU? WHERE DO YOU THINK IT'S HEADED?

Great film criticism is the ability to make readers think about movies & art from a unique perspective.. Offer ideas on every aspect of the medium.
Unfortunately I think most criticism is headed online and away from print. Blogs and micro Twitter posts. Hopefully more critical thinkers and cineastes begin to diversify with podcasting and cutting their own video essays too.






No comments:

Post a Comment