Monday, April 17, 2017

PROFESSOR WAGSTAFF’S QUIZ

aka PROFESSOR WAGSTAFF’S SUMMER OF 42 (42 QUESTIONS, THAT IS) MOVIE QUIZ


originally posted
JULY 18, 2005
(old stuff from the now gone "Refined Picture Show" blogspot)


Another great quiz by Dennis Cozzalio.









1) YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE GENRE, AND A PRIME EXAMPLE OF IT
If forced to pick I choose Horror. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968).










2) YOUR LEAST FAVORITE MOVIE GENRE, & A PRIME EXAMPLE OF IT

Do 70s & 80s era Bollywood Musicals count as a genre? With few exceptions, I've hated about 70% of the ones I've seen. They're always on at the Indian restaurant I eat at with my friend Kerri. The songs are usually pretty darn good but the melodrama and action within their accompanying cinema strike me as laughably tacky. I'm sorry if that seems culturally insensitive or something, but the vast majority of the ones i've seen from that era are like soap operas broken up with nauseating music videos.. I also dislike BEACH BLANKET BINGO-style teen party movies.














3) DONALD DUCK 
                    OR DAFFY DUCK
Daffy! I love Daffy even more than Bugs.














4) 
FAVORITE HITCHCOCK MOVIE
PSYCHO (1960)












5) THE LONGEST YOU EVER WAITED IN LINE TO SEE A MOVIE (AND, OF COURSE, THE NAME OF THE MOVIE THAT INSPIRED SUCH PREPARATION AND DEDICATION)
I waited in line with my Dad and two younger brothers for an hour and a half to see STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE when it premiered in '99..












6) YOUR FAVORITE NATURE DOCUMENTARY
WINGED MIGRATION (2002)












7) STEVE MARTIN 
                   OR JIM CARREY?
Steve is definitely more talented, but I grew up with Jim. Just a personal preference. It's really apples & oranges with those 2.












8) FAVORITE CONCERT MOVIE
STOP MAKING SENSE (1984). Demme's Talking Heads film!












9) YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE ABOUT OR INCORPORATING RELIGION OR RELIGIOUS THEMES
The Dardenne brother's LE FILS aka THE SON (2002). Very moving allusions to Christ.











10) YOUR BEST STORY (LONG OR SHORT) ABOUT ATTENDING A DRIVE-IN MOVIE
I only have one memory of being at a Drive-in. In Fort Worth I believe. I was very little and it was to see one of the two Tim Burton BATMAN movies. What I remember most was the film was so dark we couldn't see certain shots every time a car pulled up with its headlights. But it's an overall good memory because my siblings and I loved the Batmobile and the Batwing parts.











11) FAVORITE BRIAN DE PALMA
THE UNTOUCHABLES (1987)
(I've since seen more of De Palma's filmography and would pick BLOW OUT now
4/17/2017)










12) NAME ONE MOVIE YOU INITIALLY LOVED, SAW AGAIN AND ENDED UP THINKING SIGNIFICANTLY LESS OF
Guy Ritchie's LOCK STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS (1998)













13) 
NAME ONE MOVIE YOU INITIALLY HATED, SAW AGAIN, AND ENDED UP LIKING OR LOVING
I hated Paul Schrader's remake of CAT PEOPLE when I first saw it as a teenager. And I really don't know why. I guess I thought it was going to be a funny monster movie like AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981) and was disappointed it wasn't. I've since seen it again and found it haunting and brilliant even.











14) VIVIEN LEIGH 
       OR OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND?
That's tough. But I choose Olivia.













15) FAVORITE MOVIE THEME SONG
Isaac Hayes' SHAFT (1971) theme is the only song you need in life.












16) THE FIRST MOVIE YOU REMEMBER SEEING IN A THEATER
I think I was taken to several movies as a toddler but the first film I distinctly remember seeing at a cineplex was HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS (1989).










17) THE MOVIE YOU REMEMBER MOST FONDLY FROM CHILDHOOD
Jim Henson's LABYRINTH on VHS. Still captivating.











18) YOUR FAVORITE CLINT EASTWOOD MOVIE
UNFORGIVEN (1992). His Oscar winner.














19) BEST USE OF 3D IN A MOVIE
So far, I've only seen the John Wayne ALAMO (1960) on a 3D VHS. & it looked terrible..












20) LEAST DESERVING OSCAR WINNER FOR BEST PICTURE

Of what I've seen, A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001). Not one of Ron Howard's best movies. Even though it features great performances, it's narratively problematic & directed silly.











21) LEAST-DESERVING OSCAR WINNER FOR BEST ACTOR
Rex Harrison in MY FAIR LADY (1964).  Barf!












22) LEAST-DESERVING OSCAR WINNER FOR BEST ACTRESS
Nicole Kidman in THE HOURS (2002). I love Nicole, but that's not one of her truly great performances. I feel like the nose prosthetic won the gold.












23) MICHAEL BAY --- 
    YES OR NO, AND WHY?
Nah. He should be someone's A.D. or a pyrotechnics man. Post THE ROCK (1996), all his movies are like only choppy edits & surface gloss to me. Like feature length Nike or car commercials.











24) 
FAVORITE MOVIE ABOUT FOOD
TAMPOPO (1987).. I say Po Po to you, good sir.











25) FAVORITE DISASTER MOVIE
POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972) is the only one I've seen that I truly loved. Unless the original GODZILLA counts! Or is that just a monster movie?











26) STEVE MCQUEEN 
                      OR LEE MARVIN?

that's tough.. They're both icons. But I guess I would have wanted to work with Lee Marvin a bit more.











27) BEST ADAPTATION OF A BOOK OR OTHER SOURCE MATERIAL INTO A MOVIE
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962) is almost perfect in my opinion.











28) WORST ADAPTATION OF A BOOK OR OTHER SOURCE MATERIAL INTO A MOVIE
LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN ('03). Makes me worry more directors are going to ruin Alan Moore.











29) TIPPI HEDREN 
                      OR KIM NOVAK?
My goodness -- Kim.. Always Kim.












30) FAVORITE MARX BROTHER
Groucho. I know that's an unoriginal answer, but he's the funniest one goddammit.











31) THE MOST FRIGHTENING MOVIE YOU'VE SEEN THAT IS NOT STRICTLY A HORROR MOVIE
Cronenberg's DEAD RINGERS (1988) is deeply disturbing to me.
Also REQUIEM FOR A DREAM (2000).












32) BORIS KARLOFF 
                       OR BELA LUGOSI?
Lugosi.












33) FAVORITE MOVIE 
               ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL
I would say BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985), but school only plays a partial role in that -- so, I choose ELECTION (1999).













34) THE MOVIE YOU'D MOST LIKE TO BE SUBJECTED TO A DVD COMMENTARY, AND THE PERSON OR PERSONS (LIVING OR DEAD) WHO YOU'D LIKE TO HEAR TALKING ON IT
I wish Paul Thomas Anderson had done a commentary track for PUNCH DRUNK LOVE (2002) and MAGNOLIA (1999).
don't know why he stopped doing 'em after BOOGIE NIGHTS ('97).












35) FAVORITE ANIMATED MOVIE
The Beatles' YELLOW SUBMARINE (1968).











36) MOST OVERLY FAMILIAR DIALOGUE PHRASE USED IN SCREENWRITING, USUALLY TO CONNOTE COOLNESS OF A CHARACTER OR, MORE OFTEN, THE SCREENWRITER 
(EX. "DO THE MATH!")
Something like "We can either do this the easy way or the hard way.."










37) FAVORITE HOWARD HAWKS
HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940)












38) CARRIE FISHER 
          OR NATALIE PORTMAN?
Carrie. I don't even see how there's any competition.











39) FAVORITE KUNG FU MOVIE
IRON MONKEY (1993). Woo-ping's craziest!











40) IN THE SPIRIT OF FREDDY VS. JASON, DEVISE A FANTASY SMACKDOWN MATCHUP BETWEEN TWO MOVIE CHARACTERS, FICTIONAL OR DRAWN FROM LIFE
Now that they've made something of a mess of both ALIEN VS. PREDATOR (2004) and FREDDY VS. JASON (2003), I think our last best hope is Robocop Vs Terminator.
   
or Chucky VS Critters perhaps.












41) YOUR ULTIMATE FANTASY DRIVE-IN DOUBLE FEATURE
Joe Dante's THE 'BURBS (1989) and RACE WITH THE DEVIL (1975).











42) FUNNIEST MOVIE EVER
MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (1975)







Quiz courtesy of SLIFR University

No comments:

Post a Comment