Monday, April 17, 2017

MR. HAND’S SPRING 2005 POP MOVIE POP QUIZ

originally posted
MARCH 25, 2005
[old stuff from the now gone "Refined Picture Show" blogspot]


Another great quiz by Dennis Cozzalio.










1) THE ONE MOVIE YOU'D DROP EVERYTHING JUST TO SEE AGAIN

Park Chan-wook's OLDBOY (2004). and on the big screen.











2) THE ONE MOVIE YOU NEVER WANT TO SEE AGAIN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
BALLISTIC: ECKS VS. SEVER (2003) 












3) THE MOST TREASURED DVD IN YOUR PERSONAL COLLECTION
Malick's BADLANDS (1973). 
I had to order it special from a private seller on Ebay!







4) THE MOST COVETED DVD YOU'D LIKE TO ADD TO YOUR COLLECTION
I wish I owned a copy of the Criterion Collection of John Woo's THE KILLER (1989). Every time I find a copy online they're selling it for 200 damn dollars.











5) BEST NYC MOVIE?
maybe TAXI DRIVER (1976)










6) BEST LA MOVIE?
TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. (1985)










7) BEST MOVIE EVER MADE IN OR ABOUT YOUR HOME STATE, OR COUNTRY?
Wes Anderson's BOTTLE ROCKET (1996). The Lone Star State. Texas.












8) HUMPHREY BOGART 
                   OR JIMMY CAGNEY?
Love them both, but Bogie was the man.













9) BEST MOVIE REMAKE?
John Carpenter's THE THING (1982). A remake of Hawks' & Nyby's THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)













10) THE ONE MOVIE YOU'D LIKE TO SEE REMADE, AND BY WHOM (DIRECTOR, CAST)
I would like to see a spoof remake of THE THING WITH TWO HEADS (1972) by Adam McKay! The director of ANCHORMAN (2004). Especially if it stars Tracy Morgan and David Koechner in the Rosey Grier and Ray Milland parts 😅












11) BEST INTEGRATION OF AN EXISTING PIECE OF MUSIC INTO A MOVIE
Off the top of my head, the trippy version of "The Funeral March of Queen Mary" in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971) and Barber's "Adagio for Strings" in PLATOON (1986).
As far as pop music goes, I love the way Scorsese used The Stones' "Tell Me" in MEAN STREETS. It flows perfectly with the way Harvey Keitel dance floats across the club with the fixed angle at his back. Not sure if this was achieved with a snorricam or a rolling platform; but it's hypnotic.











12) MOST UNWELCOME POP SONG TYPICALLY USED IN A MOVIE MONTAGE
The use of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" in every Family film, rom-com, & their adverts.. so corny.











13) MOVIE THAT MADE YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE, OR THE WORLD
Spike Lee's 4 LITTLE GIRLS (1997) made me want to combat racism in all its forms. In any small or large way that I can.












14) KATHERINE HEPBURN 
          OR CAROLE LOMBARD?
Kate all the way!













15) YOUR FATHER'S FAVORITE MOVIE
THE COWBOYS (1972)












16) MOTHER'S FAVORITE MOVIE
I believe it's MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944)












17) THE MOVIES' MOST HANDSOME LEADING MAN OR CHARACTER ACTOR, AND THE ROLE WHICH MOST PERFECTLY FEATURED HIM
Of the "classic" era I'd say Paul Newman in COOL HAND LUKE (1967). In more contemporary cinema I'd have to go with Denzel Washington in THE HURRICANE (1999).








18) THE MOVIES' MOST BEAUTIFUL LEADING LADY OR CHARACTER ACTRESS, AND THE ROLE WHICH MOST PERFECTLY FEATURED HER
Ingrid Bergman in STROMBOLI (1950) for the classic period & I'm torn between Naomi Watts in MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001) & Angela Bassett in WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT for modern movies.












19) JIMMY STEWART 
                      OR CARY GRANT?
Sorry, Cary. I go with Jimmy on this one.













20) YOUR FAVORITE ACTOR ALMOST NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT
Paul Schneider! He's so great in David Gordon Green's movies.












21) YOUR FAVORITE ACTRESS ALMOST NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT
This adorable girl from RAISING VICTOR VARGAS (2003) named Melonie Diaz.. She should be a household name.








22) THE MOVIE YOU LOVE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO HATE
Joe Dante's LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION (2003). People seem to be mad it's not a SPACE JAM (1996) sequel?












23) THE MOVIE YOU HATE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE
THE BOONDOCK SAINTS (1999).. It's laughably bad. I can't figure out why it's so revered among movie nerds.












24) YOUR MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT RELATED TO THE MOVIES
I have 2! One is my JURASSIC PARK themed birthday party in 1993. Before cake & presents, my parents took me and a large group of school friends (almost my entire class) to see Spielberg's dinosaur romp at the theater. It was my second time to see it, but none of them had yet. Getting to hear & see their reactions to all the scares was exhilarating! It kicked ass.
The second memorable moment is of my late cousin Isaac taking me to see AUSTIN POWERS 2 when he was visiting from Corpus Christi. Summer of 1999.
His & my younger siblings stayed home and fell asleep while I got to go out to a late night movie for the first time. It made me feel like a big kid to hang out so late one-on-one with my much cooler older cuz. Plus the movie cracked us up! It's not a great film like the first one by any means, but the memory of seeing it that night is special to me. It's the last memory I have of one of cousin Isaac's visits. He passed away a year and a half later












25) YOUR MOST UNPLEASANT MOMENT RELATED TO THE MOVIES
Again, BALLISTIC: ECKS VS. SEVER (2003). The movie was so mind-numbingly stupid and on top of that; after I got out I found out my High School girlfriend was cheating on me










26) MOST REVOLTING EATING SCENE IN A MOVIE
The giant eating & vomiting fat guy Terry Jones plays in Monty Python's MEANING OF LIFE (1983). It remains the only Python bit I squirm-laugh at. It's brilliant but also just a gross nightmare for me personally. It makes that spaghetti scene in GUMMO (1997) look like normal dining. What's almost funnier is when I've tried to describe the details of this Python gluttony scene to anyone, I actually find myself laughing more at the concept than the actual execution. haha. But having to really sit through the thing just does something to my gag reflex.













27) JOAN CRAWFORD 
                   OR BETTE DAVIS?
Bette! Especially when she was younger.











28) FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIE
RAGING BULL (1980)













29) YOUR FAVORITE SEX SCENE
The shower sex that leads to the bedroom in AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981). set to Van Morrison's "Moondance"!! 
Jenny Agutter is a goddess.












30) 
FAVORITE MOVIE CAR CHASE
The first chase scene in RONIN (1998)












31) FAVORITE DEATH SCENE
McCabe stumbling into the snow in MCCABE & MRS. MILLER (1971).













32) FAVORITE MOVIE GROSS-OUT
Jackson's head repeatedly popping open in BAD TASTE (1987) and him trying to cram a piece of brain back in.












33) FAVORITE MOVIE RATING
R for Restricted.









34) FAVORITE MOVIE THEATER
Angelika Film Center at Mockingbird Station! Dallas TX.
(This honor goes to the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin TX now, but at the time of this quiz I had not been there. + Angelika is still cool - 4/17/17)











35) FAVORITE MOVIE SNACK
Milk Duds combined with buttery popcorn!
& a combo gets stuck to the roof of my mouth & then I just walk around with it stuck there for the rest of the day?











36) FAVORITE MOVIE SPEECH
Toshiro Mifune's rant about "Who made the farmers such beasts" in SEVEN SAMURAI (1954)











37) 
FAVORITE MOVIE ABOUT MOVIES
Tim Burton's ED WOOD (1994).












38) FAVORITE HAMMER HORROR
Of the few I've seen; HORROR OF DRACULA (1958)











39) FAVORITE 
KURT RUSSELL DISNEY MOVIE
does FOX AND THE HOUND (1981) count?











40) YOUR FAVORITE 
     DEAN JONES DISNEY MOVIE
I think THE LOVE BUG (1968) is the only one of his I've seen & I didn't like it. haha. So none as of right now.




Quiz courtesy of SLIFR University

No comments:

Post a Comment