Saturday, August 29, 2026

Viewing Journal: 8/29/2026



351) LEGEND 
OF THE WHITE DRAGON 
(2026 dir. Aaron Schoenke) Date Seen: August 29 2026
unfortunately the vast majority of this felt like a bunch of pre-vis rehearsal & camera tests frantically cut together in After Effects —less crafted than piled upward. & It’s especially painful seeing the late JD Frank trapped in a character with so much brooding gloom, knowing what he was actually carrying in real life. He was an actor of genuine warmth & charisma, + more range than anyone bothered to discover (I personally wish he'd been BLOODSHOT instead of Diesel)
WHITE DRAGON is thankfully never awful, but it is approaching mediocrity in a directorial sense; To the point where it almost makes the 2017 POWER RANGERS look hyper-competent. I do feel i need to say that it does feature some quality work being done in the costuming department. As a kid I always hated when Tommy the Green Ranger became the White Tiger-themed hero, solely because I hated the new costume that wasn't badass lizard green anymore. But the "White Dragon" suit in this had a pretty dreamy retro tokusatsu look, on par with designs like G1 Ken's (minus the cape).

[watch Joseph Kahn's POWER / RANGERS short, if you haven't already]



No comments:

Post a Comment