BOORMAN AND THE DEVIL
(2026 dir. David Kittredge) Date Seen: August 18 2026a fascinating autopsy of one of the biggest critical bombs in film history, EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC. & John Boorman essentially confesses here that he believes he overly intellectualized the themes of the book to the point where the material no longer resembled the type of possession horror audiences had come to expect. I've always found PT. II to be sonically & visually a beautiful piece of work, it just has a load of dramatically goofy stuff crammed into it that ruins the overall tone (hence why I always filed it under the "Close But No Cigar" section on my Favorite Horror Movies of the 70s list, because it's just too unique of a mess to dismiss as completely lusterless). Imagine a film being a beautiful string composition & it's being performed live at a symphony house, but a percussionist on stage keeps accidentally knocking crap over and distracting everyone -- That's kinda what THE HERETIC is like.. But brothers & sisters, I’d take a sincere, gorgeous, Morricone-scored wreck over all the soulless focus-grouped franchise things that come out now.
No comments:
Post a Comment