Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Viewing Journal: 12/7/2021




671) THE HAND OF GOD
    [È STATA LA MANO DI DIO]
(2021 dir. Paolo Sorrentino) Date Seen: December 7 2021

Sorrentino's work from 2004 to 2016 (i'm including Young Pope and New Pope in that) spoke to me more than the feature films he's been releasing lately. And I can't really put my finger on why.. This was ultimately worthwhile & had the photographic opulence I've come to expect from his movies-- but I didn't really love all of the story, if I'm keepin' it 100. It was relatively straight-forward in the narrative department & I think I just prefer when his stuff is more strange & dreamlike. 












670) WOJNAROWICZ: 
    F**K YOU F*GGOT F**KER
(2021 dir. Chris McKim) Date Seen: December 7 2021

A loving portrait of a brilliant artist + really astonishing editing/assemblage of footage. However, a brief word of caution: By the time its end credits roll there's a good chance you might feel emotionally broken up, as I did. (& I made the mistake of watching it on a day where I had already watched 2 other fairly sad films) For a bit there, the world seemed a cold dead place to me after finishing this. But watching funny animal videos helped compartmentalize the melancholy I was personally feeling, so maybe that will work for you too. Just a good idea to feed your brain 
endorphins any way you can if you're blue.












669) IN THE SAME BREATH
(2021 dir. Nanfu Wang) Date Seen: December 7 2021














668) IDENTIFYING FEATURES
    [SIN SEÑAS PARTICULARES]
(2021 dir. Fernanda Valadez) Date Seen: December 7 2021




No comments:

Post a Comment