Sunday, December 19, 2021

Viewing Journal: 12/17/2021



711) DON'T LOOK UP
(2021 dir. Adam McKay) Date Seen: December 17 2021

Clearly the first plop Adam McKay has deuced. I was kinda surprised by how "made for TV movie" the whole thing feels in a directorial sense. McKay used to try to add cinematic flare to his films & it was refreshing because he spawned from 90s TV.. One of the only reasons I didn't give it a lower rating is because I got secretly aroused waiting to see my buddy the comet, cause i knew their arrival would eradicate the smugness.. We must not confuse s
elf-congratulation for sharp political commentary. These guys aren't Terry Southern & Kubrick.








710) RUMBLE
(2021 dir. Hamish Grieve) Date Seen: December 17 2021

Outside of a handful of monster designs, I found this to be the epitome of soulless corporate animation. Maybe skip it and watch ARENA (1989) if you want to see a truly cracked out film about monster wrestling entertainment. Also, is it just me or has every exclusive Paramount+ movie been hot garbage? Unless I’m forgetting something, it really seems like it’s all been grueling crap like this or CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG. You’d think Sony would have more cream of the crop in their creative departments.












709) 
YOU WILL DIE AT TWENTY
(2021 dir. Amjad Abu Alala) Date Seen: December 17 2021

A quiet, dust-covered fable that gently chips away at fatalism. & I appreciated that it poked holes in blind faith without ever looking down on the people who are actually trapped inside it, if you catch my drift. -- Also: I was shocked to find out this is a directorial debut. 













708) SEE NO EVIL
(2006 dir. Gregory Dark) Date Seen: December 17 2021

The wrestler dude "Kane" admittedly makes for a cool physically imposing presence on screen & the film did seem to have some crude rudimentary kernels of depth it was trying to give him to make him stand apart from other Slasher villains. But too much of this was just tacky schlock for me.. Merely setting up your film's world with a gritty old-school slasher ethos isn't worth much when you bury it under paper-thin writing and relentlessly tacky directorial choices. And why make the kills so repetitive?




No comments:

Post a Comment