Friday, December 31, 2021

Viewing Journal: 12/31/2021




755) THE LOST DAUGHTER
(2021 dir. Maggie Gyllenhaal) Date Seen: December 31 2021















754) OXYGÈNE
(2021 dir. Alexandre Aja) Date Seen: December 31 2021

This wasn’t the full on claustrophobic nightmare I thought it would be due mostly to the main character’s ability to temporarily detach from her situation via navigating computer panels (with info, digital memories, whatnot). An expository plot device that I think helps distinguish OXYGÈNE from other entries in the Trapped in a Confined Space thriller subgenre. Alexandre Aja wasn’t as visually inventive as I thought he’d be shooting within the single setting limitations. There were times during this movie where I found myself wishing things moved more briskly but thankfully Melanie Laurent’s dynamic performance helps distract from some of the repetitive minimalism. YMMV clearly, but I'd say it’s a thoughtful enough genre exercise.














753) PLAYGROUND [UN MONDE]
(2022 dir. Laura Wandel) Date Seen: December 31 2021















752) THE BIRDS II: LAND'S END
(1994 dir. Rick Rosenthal as Alan Smithee) Date Seen: December 31 2021

BIRDEMIC: SHOCK & TERROR (2010) might be a more technically inept film than this, but at least BIRDEMIC is funny.
"I'm so sorry I'm late. My eyes just got pecked out by crows.. A mean black bird out there. Really went for the eyes"






No comments:

Post a Comment