back home safe & tonight we're
going to see MOTORBOAT CITY
(,,¬﹏¬,,)
(2026 dir. Potsy Ponciroli) Date Seen: July 28 2026Potsy is a really ambitious dude & I admire the stylistic & formal swing he attempted here. Even when it whiffs, I appreciated what he was trying to do.. For most of MOTOR CITY's runtime it plays like somebody built an action movie around their favorite stack of '70s records. Then as things brood harder, the soundtrack quietly trades them in for more moody, synth-soaked cues orbiting closer to Michael Mann's worlds. (I wouldn't be surprised if scenes from this get a ton of youtube remixes later on). And I thought it was kind of a blast whenever it knew it was basically a bloody B-picture. The only times it really lost me was in these bursts where music selections accidentally turn drama into unintentional comedy. Example: A damsel-in-distress scene scored to Christmas carolers that had me muffling giggles -- a part i'm sure the filmmakers thought was tragic on-a-par with Ginger's fate in CASINO.. + I'm normally a big champion of Ben Foster & he's definitely doing something here.. & that something just might be complete off the leash overacting. Looking like Penn's "Kleinfeld" in CARLITO'S WAY while doing a crackhead take on Tosca's Baron Scarpia. Ironic considering how beautifully restrained he was in CHRISTY last year. which I thought he should've won Best Supporting for.

No comments:
Post a Comment